Mutton Yakhni Pulao by @foodfrenzybyariba
- Rice (Long grain Basmati Rice)-4 cups
- A Pinch of Saffron soaked in ¼ cup Milk
To Make Mutton Yakhni Stock
- 1 tablespoon Cumin Seeds (zeera)
- ¾ tablespoon Fennel Seeds
- 1 ½ tablespoon Dried Rose Petals
- 2 Onions (medium size, quartered or sliced)
- 16-18 cloves Garlic
- 2 inch Ginger (piece, sliced or crushed)
- 2 Star Anise (chakri phool/baadiyaan)
- 8-10 Green Cardamom
- 10– 12 Cloves
- 2 Mace Flower (javitri)
- 3 inch Cinnamon sticks (3 sticks of 1 inch each)
- 2 tablespoon Coriander seeds
- 1 kilogram Mutton on bone (Lamb or Goat) (cleaned and washed)
- 7 cups Water
- Salt to Taste
For Yakhni Pulao
- 150 grams Ghee or Oil
- 2-3 Bay Leaves
- 3 Onions (large size, finely sliced)
- 6-8 Green Chilies (slit (you may adjust it accordingly))
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup Yogurt (Curd) (240 grams, (curd) whisked well)
- 6.5 cups Yakhni Stock
- 1 teaspoon Garam masala powder
- Few drops of kewda essence
- ¼ cup Birista (Golden Fried Onion)
- Firstly, clean and soak the long grain basmati rice for at least 30 minutes.
- Also, soak a pinch of saffron in ¼ cup of milk.
Making Yakhni (Mutton Stock)
First, take a clean muslin cloth, add all the ingredients for bouquet garnii.
- Now, tie it well with the string to secure all the whole spices into it to form a potli .
Put cleaned and washed mutton pieces in a pressure cooker along with the prepared potli and 7 cups of water. Add some salt, put it on the heat and bring it to a boil.
- Once the it starts boiling, pressure cook until the mutton is just done. Do not over - cook it.
- Now, once the mutton is done, allow it to release the pressure to its own.
- Gently, separate the mutton pieces and the stock. Also, squeeze the potli very well in to the stock to extract all the flavours of spices. Discard the potli.
Making Yakhni Pulao
- Heat ghee (or oil) in handi or pan.
- Once the ghee is hot, add bay leaves and fry for few seconds. Add sliced onions and fry until they start picking up golden color.
- Add green chilies slit and fry for another few seconds.
- Then, add boiled mutton and gently sauté it on high heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt and whisked yoghurt and mix. Cook for a minute.
- Now, drain the water from the rice. Add rice and mix gently.
- Then add, the yakhni (mutton stock) counting to the exact 6 ½ cups. If the Yakhni is less in amount then add some water along with yakhni but it should be 6 ½ cups in total. For the reason that we are adding a cup of curd, it will also add the liquid to the rice, so we are adding 6& ½ cups of yakhni stock only.
- Add garam masala powder, kewra essence/water and mix, bring it to a boil.
- Allow it to cook on high heat until 90% water dries up.
- Now, pour the saffron soaked milk over the rice. Cover the pot with foil and put it on Dum for 15 minutes.
- The Lucknowi Mutton yakhni pulao is ready. Garnish it with birista (golden fried onions) and serve with raita, yogurt or salad of your choice.
Recipe from Ariba :D
Follow her @foodfrenzybyariba and see so many more delicious recipes!
Thank you Ariba!